Pure Environmental Careers
Controller, Calgary, Alberta
- Job Title: Controller
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
Pure Environmental is developing best-in-class and sustainable solutions to responsibly manage waste streams from the energy and industrial sectors. Utilizing our expertise in environmentally responsible waste management, Pure Environmental designs, constructs and operates world-class facilities with projects in Canada and the United States. Our purpose is to protect the air we breathe, the water we drink and the ground we walk on. Our purpose, supported by our values, forms the foundation on which we build our growing organization around and why we are in the business of providing responsible environmental services.
Reporting to the President the Controller is a key member of the senior management team, a proven expert and leader, responsible for building and implementing financial systems, reporting financial results, managing the day to day efficient processes related to operations while implementing growth strategies.
Within an entrepreneurial, fast-paced office and operations environment, the Controller will provide accounting and internal control expertise and ensure the alignment and integration of accounting and reporting processes.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Responsibility for internal and external reporting requirements; strong understanding of IFRS.
- Familiarity with cross-border taxation issues.
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of a financial reporting, production accounting and project cost-tracking systems.
- Help achieve results through relationship building, confidence building, trustworthiness, dedication and pragmatic approach to financial requirements;
- Maintain a high level of communication with the Project Management and Operations teams (including Parent Company finance team) on all relevant matters;
- Model a professional image and demeanor with internal and external customers;
- Respond to all internal enquiries within the Company in a timely and professional manner;
- Assist in all business process documentation by reviewing information to ensure completeness and accuracy;
- Coach employees on new processes, understanding their effect on current ones;
- Assess team’s capabilities and recommend workforce adjustments accordingly; and
- Recruit, manage and develop the Finance team;
- Practice discretion and the utmost confidentiality on all internal issues;
- Optimize the vast knowledge existing in the long-term workforce and align strengths and positions.
- Oversee all financial reporting, taxation, forecasting, accounting functions and processes;
- Provide monthly variance analysis and reporting package for senior management
- Preparation of year-end audit working papers and external financial statements coordinating the audit process with external auditors;
- Work closely with project management teams to effectively manage project planning, costs and reporting systems.
- Work closely with external auditors ensuring all necessary critical information is available to them;
- Primary responsibility for oversight and leadership for the preparation and presentation of budgets and forecasts, including revenue, expense, capital and balance sheet;
- Maintain financial security by researching and reconciling discrepancies; auditing and verifying documents; following internal controls; completing data backups;
- Stay current with all regulations, practices, tax laws, reporting requirements and industry trends;
- Build and maintain relationships with the banking sector.
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP
- Create an environment of collaboration, open communication and engagement;
- Provide team with opportunity to contribute with significant input – continuous improvement;
- Address performance issues and opportunities in real time; and
- Utilize resources available to the team and department and ask for assistance should that be critical to achieve results.
- Clear understanding of who are the internal and external customers of Pure Environmental;
- Demonstrate a “can do”, “problem solving” approach to all inquiries and concerns;
- Ensure vendor/customer issues and requests are addressed in a timely manner;
The successful candidate will have the following:
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field, or equivalent experience;
- Accounting designation (CPA - CGA, CA, CMA) and 10+ years of subsequent experience in a significant financial role demonstrating progressive responsibilities;
- Solid understanding and working experience in energy services industry and preferably the oilfield waste management industry;
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship and communication skills;
- Knowledge, expertise or significant exposure to a major ERP environment
- Expert level with Microsoft Excel, proficiency with other Office applications as well as finance, accounting and reporting programs.
- COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- High degree of integrity, trustworthiness and a commitment to excellence;
- Ability to engage, inspire and appropriately influence without authority;
- Drive to facilitate the success of others with a focus on continuous improvement;
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbal and written, capable of communicating cross functionally across all levels;
- Self-motivated and energetic with capacity and drive to learn and act quickly;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Ability to travel to field office locations as needed.